State of Development for SC

General News
kyled
Site Admin

State of Development for SC

Postby kyled » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:11 pm

For those who are currently still playing SC,
I've taken some look and thought of development into SC and had once decided that to continue programming the game I would want to head into a direction of taking the game into some sort of 3d graphical game as the 2-d feel is too dated. Unfortunately, the more I look into doing this with flash the less I want to upgrade the game. Also, it seems that many flash communities are gone, and the outlook for flash is rather grim. Adobe deciding to no longer support mobile devices is extremely worrisome about the program's future.

So I have decided to not to continue Stellar with flash, and will leave the current version as a final flash version, I do know what is wrong with the server failing and will look into putting in a fix for it.

As for Stellar, I will be looking into moving to HTML5 with JS coding. It seems to have many possibilities for the game such as joy-pad input, mobile/phone support and better speed. The game will remain staged on a 2-D plane, however I plan to move into 3-D models with an adjustable camera setting (i.e. chase view behind your ship, fps possible view, Isometric type view). I have thought about going to a true 3-D flight system, which could be a possible upgrade in the future, but for simplicity of play, a 2-D plane would be most viable. I am also contemplating moving for space to a different sort of genre, but that won't be an issue until a basic game engine is made.

I still need to look more into HTML5 before beginning the transition.
Domingo

Re: State of Development for SC

Postby Domingo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:53 pm

kyled wrote:For those who are currently still playing SC,
I've taken some look and thought of development into SC and had once decided that to continue programming the game I would want to head into a direction of taking the game into some sort of 3d graphical game as the 2-d feel is too dated. Unfortunately, the more I look into doing this with flash the less I want to upgrade the game. Also, it seems that many flash communities are gone, and the outlook for flash is rather grim. Adobe deciding to no longer support mobile devices is extremely worrisome about the program's future.

So I have decided to not to continue Stellar with flash, and will leave the current version as a final flash version, I do know what is wrong with the server failing and will look into putting in a fix for it.

As for Stellar, I will be looking into moving to HTML5 with JS coding. It seems to have many possibilities for the game such as joy-pad input, mobile/phone support and better speed. The game will remain staged on a 2-D plane, however I plan to move into 3-D models with an adjustable camera setting (i.e. chase view behind your ship, fps possible view, Isometric type view). I have thought about going to a true 3-D flight system, which could be a possible upgrade in the future, but for simplicity of play, a 2-D plane would be most viable. I am also contemplating moving for space to a different sort of genre, but that won't be an issue until a basic game engine is made.

I still need to look more into HTML5 before beginning the transition.

I agree, that's more or less the same decision that River and I made when we started the emulation. However, when I was looking into Canvas/JS some two years ago, the options were pretty limited. Maybe its different now, but back then there was browser support, but it was sketchy at best. I also never liked the idea that the entire client site networking was exposed via JS, this isn't a big deal since people can just Wireshark the client, but its a bit too Open Source for my taste.

I'd recommend Java Applets but asset management over an Applet is a PITA. However, you can get some really nice effects using lwjgl (or jMonkeyEngine if you prefer hands off approach to OpenGL).

The problem with 2D stuff on modern PCs is the fact that GPUs are optimized to do rendering so you still have to choose 3D rendering (just with parallel projection).

But yeah, I think if you can get it working, HTML5's Canvas is a good place to restart. I don't know how efficient it is nor do I really know how good WebSockets are, but I anticipate great things!

Just a thought, I think SVG rendering isn't ready for real-time rendering on most browsers, so you might have to use raster graphics...
Domingo Diego
RaygoeFlash
kyled
Site Admin

Postby kyled » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Stellar 3D was a java app, but security restriction and downloads quickly killed that idea. Distribution was going to be a nightmare, something that it seems won't be a problem with html5

Flash is horrible with their socket connections, so as long as websockets are functional and not a huge time constraint, they shouldn't be an issue.

I still have to browse more into some of the code libraries, but I am hoping for the best.
the_ace

Postby the_ace » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:56 pm

hopefully that the game has a smooth moving over
Tyrant of Stellar Conflicts.
If you need help that I can provide then I will do so
If you need help and dont't ask me then I cannot help you
Also don't come to me complaining about other players
For I can do nothing but kill them when they are online
kyled
Site Admin

Postby kyled » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:08 pm

Just an update, moving to the new programming is very very nice. Although there is some headaches changing things over, the basic flight is infinitely better. Few drawbacks, being mostly that chrome and firefox will be required to play.
the_ace

Postby the_ace » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:24 am

once the move is complete I will pop back in and test it to see if a normal player (or tyrant) will like it or not
Tyrant of Stellar Conflicts.
If you need help that I can provide then I will do so
If you need help and dont't ask me then I cannot help you
Also don't come to me complaining about other players
For I can do nothing but kill them when they are online

Return to “News”