The truth about Filipino hair

General News
djamelo

The truth about Filipino hair

Postby djamelo » Tue May 14, 2019 2:37 am

HI ALL
The market is saturated with hair types that many vendors label and claim by the name or nationality of their supposed country's origin.

Peruvian, monggolian, russian, eurasian, brazilian etc.

I will not speak about these hair types because I have no sufficient knowledge on how they are sourced and the authenticity of these claims.

One thing I will speak about is Filipino hair. Because well, I'm Filipino. If that helps. Lol

How does Filipino hair look like?
If you have a Filipino friend, you may politely ask to touch and see their hair.

Around 60% of Filipinos have silky straight hair in varying degrees of silkiness, straightness and darkness. But many Filipinos also have a coarser, wavier texture. It is not uncommon to find Filipino people with tight curly, coarse hair too. That is why the hair treatment called 'rebonding' has become a trend here in the last decade. Colors vary from natural jet black to dark brown shades. Shades of black are still the dominant hair color that will be found in Filipino people's hair. But since we were colonized by different countries, you will also find Filipinos with hair colors #2 to #4. I myself used to have a #4 shade chestnut brown hair as a child that gradually darkened as I went through adolescence. This phenomenon is not uncommon here and that is why even with adult dark hair, you will find some varying brown shades when our hair is under the sun.

Do Filipinos sell their hair?
Yes. But the healthiest virgin hair can be found in provinces where many people live a generally simple life and are willing to sell their hair. A few people in Metro Manila also sell their virgin hair but since this is a highly-urbanized city, people are more trendy and therefore many of us dye, style, perm, curl and straighten our hair.

How does Filipino hair compare to other hairs like Chinese and Indian?
Chinese hair is usually a cross between coarse and silky. Chinese hair has bigger follicles and higher sheen. The most common chinese hair texture is bone straight.
Indian hair strand is fine and comparable to caucasian hair in some ways. Their hair usually has more patterns and is sensitive to humidity

Filipino hair is like a cross in between these two. It's finer than Chinese but more dense than Indian. It has less sheen than chinese hair but is usually silkier to touch. It has a very natural look and movement and has less variations in textures compared to natural indian hair.

Where is the best place to get Filipino hair?
The Philippines.

Is Filipino hair affordable?
It depends on what you consider affordable. Virgin Filipino hair is not as affordable or as readily-available as Chinese and Indian hair.

How is the lifespan of Filipino hair?
Filipino hair is more delicate than Chinese hair but is a lot more durable than Indian Hair. Filipino hair undergoes little to none at all when it comes to processing, so this keeps the hair's integrity. Filipino people do not sacrifice their hairs in temples. Lice and nits is not as big as a problem here than in India.

Does Filipino hair come in steam-processed textures too?
Yes. This option is available.

Is Filipino hair color-processed?
Not that I know. All my virgin Filipino hair extensions came in their natural, varying colors.

Does Filipino hair hold curls and styles?
It holds styles very well.

How is maintenance?
Very low. I like to think our hair evolved to adapt to our country's very humid climate.

How is the weight, feel, bounce and density?
You wouldn't need too much bundles because Filipino hair is dense down to the bottom and has natural volume. It is also very bouncy. It has a lot of movement. It's not too heavy.

unlock Exemples.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thank you.

Return to “News”